panorama

Kyiv under the authority of the Lithuania and Poland

The city began to revive only in 1360's, having fallen under the power of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Kyiv became the capital of autonomous Princes of the family Gedimin, who carried out large-scale reconstructions, and layed foundations of the wooden castle. During a certain period own coins were minted in Kyiv. In 1471 the Kyiv principality was abolished and transformed into the province. Damaging attacks of Tatar hordes in 1416 and in 1482 became an obstacle to normal development of the city. However, in 1499 Kyiv dwellers got self-government under Magdeburg Law, and during the first half of the XVI century Kyiv monasteries and Pecherske township around the Uspenskyi monastery (which was named and got privileges of the lavra) were rebuilt.

Owing to the Union of Lublin Kyiv became a member of the Kingdom of Poland in 1569 and economic growth began.

1648_map__en.jpg

         In 1648 the population of the city reached 15 thousand people. However, harassment of the Polish nobility led to several Cossack uprisings at the end of the XVI century. During the national liberation war, led by Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytskyi, urban population was considerably reduced. In 1654 due to Pereiaslav Agreement Kyiv was annexed to Muscovy. The city was occupied by troops of the Moscow Tsar. A period of calm began.

1786_map__en.jpg