panorama

Velyka Vasylkivska (Chervonoarmiiska) Street

  • Velyka Vasylkivska (Chervonoarmiiska) Street runs from Bessarabska square and Shevchenka boulevard to Lybidska square and Druzhby Narodiv boulevard.

    It has been known since ancient times as a sandy unpaved path (postal highway) to Vasylkiv.

    Since 1830-th years on both sides were building one-storey houses of small officials and retired soldiers and Vasylkivskyi path became Velyka Vasylkivska street.

    Buildings of the former hotels "Pivden", "Grand Imperial", "Dagmar", "Tavrida", "Petersburg", "Metropol" with restaurants and cafes (many of these buildings have survived to this day); cinemas "Odeon" and "Chary" were constructed on the streets. It is quite ordered, with spacious sidewalks, here and there and delicate light-towers.

    In 1833 the Prince Vladimir Church was transferred from Pechersk to Velyka Vasylkivska street.

    In 1890th years, in place of the square, located near the intersection with Fedorova street, was mounted Kinna Ploshcha where the fairs were held.

    Since 1860 on Troitska (Trinity) square, near the current Olympic stadium, was a market, in 1913 in its place were built the pavilions of the All-Russian industrial exhibition. At the beginning of XX century, along the square was built Troitska (Trinity) Church (which was not preserved to this day) and Troitskyi National House (now the Operetta Theater).

    Buildings of the late XIX - early XX century were mostly preserved on the street.

    From L. Tolstoho square to Bessarabska square there is an underground shopping and entertainment complex "Metrograd."

  • Object on the map

  • All Objects